Monday, June 8, 2009

Appliance Death II: Fall of the Machines

It's almost summer here in Nerdland, and the lawn is growing like crazy. We've been mowing twice a week for the past month or so. That is, until the mower crapped out on us last weekend. My smart husband, who is absolutely incredible at fixing broken things, managed to keep it working enough to cut the grass on Saturday. It wouldn't be such a big deal, but our sissy dogs won't endure the tall grass tickling their fannies, so they tend to turn the patio into a toilet whenever the lawn needs mowing. We tossed around the idea of buying a new mower (ours is a super-basic model AND it's 12 years old), but the husband decided to just buy a small engine repair book, fix the motor himself, and save the money.

Not to be outdone in the necessary-machine-falling-apart-at-a-critical-moment contest, the washer decided to die on Saturday, as well. Unfortunately, I had washed only one of our usual four weekly loads of laundry. The (brilliant) husband found the appropriate replacement part on eBay, and he should be making the repair sometime later this week. Hopefully no one will get too close at work until then, just in case we're smelly.

I would like to take this opportunity to implore that my remaining functional appliances not join in this suicide pact, please. We could probably do without the stove for a while, but the microwave, fridge, toaster, and air conditioner are absolute necessities. And the computer...dear Lord, please save the computer! After all, writing about your problems is a stress reliever, right? I'm definitely gonna need a stress reliever if I'm hot, hungry, wearing stinky clothes, and living in a poo-strewn-patio jungle.

Vote for me, please! I could use all the smilies I can get.
Humor-Blogs.com

5 comments:

JD at I Do Things said...

Are you sure Christian Bale doesn't have anything to do with this? I'm kind of in favor of blaming everything on Christian Bale these days.

And what is wrong with your oh-so-dainty doglets?! They don't want their butts tickled by the long grass? That seems like one of the plusses of taking a dump outside!

Unknown said...

i hope nothing else breaks and if it does, hope your wonderful hubby can fix it!

absepa said...

JD: I think Christian Bale may have something to do with this...he seems kinda shifty to me.

Our girl dog is a tough cookie, and doesn't mind the tall, wet grass. The boys are the sissies! They seem to think they are too good to use the yard unless conditions are perfect.

Stacie: Thanks, I hope so too! As long as the AC holds out, I should be okay.

Kathy said...

Holy crap, woman! You're having quite the run of bad luck. Of all the appliances in our house, I would have a meltdown without my laptop or internet access. I did go 12 hours once without it and almost had to go to the library to use one of their computers. I know. I have a problem.

As for the poop issue, would you believe one of my cats likes to "make a drop" in the middle of our lawn? It's actually quite comical. Cats are supposed to be very private creatures, but this one walks right out to the dead center of the yard, with no cover, and lets loose. She has no problem with high grass. It just takes her longer to get there.

I shall pray that all your other appliances hang tough for the rest of their natural lives.

Kudos to your fix-it husband. He's a keeper.

absepa said...

Kathy: I figure I can get by without everything except the laptop and AC, in a pinch. I'd rather not find out, tho.

That is strange for a cat! She must be an extrovert.

It is nice to have a husband who can fix things!