Thursday, April 30, 2009

Flickr Fun Friday: It's Inescapable

I'm talking about the Kentucky Derby, and it is, indeed, inescapable, if you live in Kentucky. The Run for the Roses is this weekend, and I'm...well, not all that interested, really. Horses are kind of nice to look at, but I don't really like to be around them ("large" "unpredictable" and "temperamental" are not qualities I look for in an animal) . I hate losing my money on bets, and you could not pay me to fight the massive crowds at the race. Unless, you know, I was invited to sit in Prince William's royal box or something. But, for anyone who is interested in the race but cannot actually make it to Churchill Downs, I thought I could provide a glimpse of what you will be missing, courtesy of Flickr:

Hats
(courtesy of velo steve's photostream)

Knowing my luck, my seat would be behind this lady.

Drunk People
(courtesy of bhenak's photostream)

Based on some of the stories I've heard, you will see a lot of drunk people. And they will probably be covered in a nice, thick layer of mud, since it's supposed to rain pretty much nonstop from now until post time.

Oh, and yeah...Some Horse Races
(courtesy of boboroshi's photostream)

There will be a bunch of races, but I
don't know if anyone will actually notice or not. They will all be too busy modeling hats, downing mint juleps, losing money faster than the current economy, getting stuck in the infield mud, and trying to scope out celebrities.

If you do decide to go to the Derby, I hope you have a great time! I think I'll just hang out here, where it's quiet, cool, and dry. And no one will throw up on me.

(And I realize it's Thursday night, not Friday, but I knew I wouldn't have time to post tomorrow.)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

lol. That hat...HOLY MOLY...

absepa said...

Stacie's Madness: I know! All of the news shows here run stories about hats for days leading up to the Derby. It makes me wish I knew how to make fancy hats!

JD at I Do Things said...

I would kill for a hat like that. In fact, that's probably the only reason I would ever go to the Kentucky Derby -- just so I could wear an awesome hat.

And maybe throw up on a few people.

absepa said...

JD: I poke fun, but I would totally kill to wear a big hat, even though I don't have good hat hair. I love getting dressed up.

ImageLuv Funny Blog said...

Wow, that is one really absurd outsized hat.

And speaking of absurd headware, I have a funny post here on an Indian turban.
http://imageluv.com/blog/queer-stuff-the-turbanator/

By the way, will you like to do a link exchange with my blog?