Thursday, September 11, 2008

Seven Years

So many people have written so many wonderful words about this day. I doubt that anything I could write would do the gravity of the day justice, so I'll just say this: the anniversary of 9/11 fills me with gratitude.

I'm grateful for the brave men and women who ran into the towers as they fell, and diverted a doomed airplane, and rushed into the burning Pentagon building.

I'm grateful for the brave men and women in our armed forces, who travel thousands of miles from home and family--knowing they may never return--to defend my freedom.

I'm grateful to be able to work, drive a car, shop, and visit my friends and family. There are countries in the world where, as a woman, I would be stoned, imprisoned, ostracized, or even killed for doing those things.

And finally, I'm grateful to live in a country where I can worship my God any way I choose. There are countries in the world where proclaiming oneself a Christian, or owning a Bible, is punishable by death.

Praise be to the LORD, for he showed his wonderful love to me when I was in a besieged city.
Psalm 31:21

No comments: